Custom Search

Friday, October 30, 2009

Making Thanksgiving My Own

Thanksgiving is the best time of year for people who, like me, love to cook. I have taken the turkey tradition away from my mother in the last few years. Not because she can’t or does not want to, no it’s because I love to create a feast. This is the only time of year that I don’t have to make up excuses to cook a lot of food.



The hardest part for me, when I took over this tradition, happens to be the tools for the job. Using my Moms traditional pans and dishes seemed to be a tradition that needed to go. Everything sticks to the metal, the glass is fragile and cracks easily, and nothing stays warm like I hoped it would. Not to mention, as soon as you get your culinary masterpiece created, you have to move it to a decorative bowl. This almost always causes me to make a huge mess and more clean up. Washing all those dishes is not my favorite part of the holiday season.


This is how I started out making Thanksgiving dinner. Since then I have put my own touch on the turkey tradition. I switched out my Mom’s old bakeware and dishes for ceramic bakeware and dishes.


Now in the ceramic bakeware the food stays warm longer out of the oven. The cold salads stay cold longer because I chill the dishes in the refrigerator. My new ceramic bakeware is durable; some of it even goes from freezer to oven and does not crack!! Ceramic bakeware has a non stick surface so food is easy to get out of the pan. My ceramic bakeware is oh so stylish so I can serve straight from the dish, no more extra mess. Last of all it is a breeze to clean up. I don’t need anything harsh to clean just a sponge, soap and water so my hands stay soft.

So now that I told you my secret you have to promise not to tell my family. They think practice makes perfect but we both know having the right tool for the job makes a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment